Block quotations are used when the direct quote you are using is 40+ words in length (approximately four or more lines of text). When you have a quote this long, it must be made into a block.
How do I format a Block Quote?
To properly format a block quote, follow these guidelines:
- Double-space the block quote.
- Begin the block quote on a new line.
- Do not enclose the direct quote in quotation marks.
- Indent each line of the block quote by ½ inch.
- Provide an introduction to the quote.
- Punctuate the quoted material with a period before the parenthetical citation – with no ending punctuation after the parentheses.
Example Block Quote