Follow the steps below to correctly format your document in current APA style using Microsoft Word. For additional help, download our APA template:
- Ashford APA Template (Word document)
APA requires that your papers have a title page and page numbers in the header of each page. To make a title page and page numbers, follow these instructions:
How to Make the Page Numbers in the Header
Within a Microsoft Word document:
- Click on the INSERT tab at the top of the page.
- Click on the "Page Number" tool to open a menu of options.
3. Select "Top of Page" and "Plain Number 3" options.
4. Double click outside of the top margin of your paper to get back to the text area of your document.
How to Make the Title Page Content
- On your title page, hit the "Enter" key on your keyboard approximately 3 times so your cursor is in the top-middle of the page.
- Center your cursor (Ctrl+E) and add your paper's title in bold font:
- For example: The Effects of Carbon-Dating Technology on Dinosaur Bones
- Hit the "Enter" key 1 time and write in the remaining information, centered, each on its own line:
- Your name
- For example: Jane Smith
- The name of your school
- For example: Ashford University
- Your course information
- For example: ENG 122: English Composition II
- Your instructor's name
- For example: Prof. James Lee
- The date you will turn in the paper.
- For example: January 1, 2020
- Your name
- Highlight all the text you've typed (Ctrl+A) and double-space (Ctrl+2) your title page information.
When you have completed these steps, your title page should look something like this:
There are several font styles allowed in APA, but the standard font size and style is 12 point, Times New Roman. Follow these steps to change your font style and size:
- Within your Word document, click on the "Home" tab.
- Highlight all of your text (Ctrl+A) and select "Times New Roman" as your font and change the size to "12."
Want to make 12 pt. Times New Roman your default font? Follow these instructions:
- Use the keyboard shortcut Ctrl+D to open your font settings.
- Select Times New Roman" as your font.
- Select "Regular" for your font style.
- Select "12" for your size.
- Click on "Set as Default."
- Select on the "All documents based on the Normal template" and click on "OK."
- Click on "OK" to close the font settings.
Double spacing refers to the amount of space between the lines within your Word document. For most of your college papers, double spacing is a requirement, and a part of APA formatting.
Follow these steps to learn how to double space properly:
Select the paragraphs you want to double space. To select all of your text, use the keyboard short Ctrl+a.
Within the "Home" tab, click the "Line and Paragraph Spacing" button.
According to APA format, your document margins should be 1 inch all the way around. To adjust your margins, follow these instructions:
- Click on the "Page Layout" tab
- Click on "Margins"
- Click on "Normal"